A blog devoted to professional aspects of design
and engineering applied to the art of fine woodworking.


August 22, 2015

Surrogates

I would use the term surrogate to describe some of what I design and build. These projects function as a surrogate or stand-in for concepts and methods I want to explore before applying them to projects that really matter.

The molding profiles I used to form up this cabinet top section are surrogates where the cabinet project itself was a surrogate design for an organ case architecture concept I wanted to develop. I have a number of profile cutters that are sold as colonial period molding router bits. A person will usually run a short length of profiled molding from scrap stock to see how that particular shape will look. I wanted to get a feel for how these period profiles could combine to form the more complex shape of a historically referenced cornice, so I created this cabinet top section to experiment with that some. The design profiles can also be applied to new design work now that they are modeled in computer solids, a none too trivial task in and of itself.

This particular top section design is fairly complex, and might not be realistically used in a real project, although organ case trim of a typical northern European Baroque pipe organ was similarly complex including the varied use of color to set off each different layer of trim.

This certainly gives a better impression of what is possible with respect to the use of combined profiles, and how I might attempt to successfully combine diverse profiles in a commissioned project to produce just the right effect.

No comments: