A blog devoted to professional aspects of design
and engineering applied to the art of fine woodworking.


March 9, 2014

Shelving Units: Expecting Too Much Sometimes

The machine pictured here is a combination planer-jointer. It can easily convert between one machine or the other. It is configured as a jointer in the photo here. I love this machine. I also hate this machine sometimes. I purchased it because I was doing smaller work in this not-too-large workshop of mine. It was perfect for that work.

I replaced the combination planer-jointer last summer by dedicated machinery with more accuracy and capacity to handle projects like the large shelving unit side frames pictured below. Yet the planer-jointer stays where it sits because it can surface a board flat that is 10" wide. I use it now almost exclusively in that capacity to surface one side of a board completely flat before running it through the dedicated planer or drum sander. Doing so helped create almost perfectly aligned mortise and tenon joints used in the construction of the shelving unit side frames pictured here. I love it for that reason.

This particular planer-jointer was designed with some limitations that make it more attractive to a woodworker like me with a smaller shop and budget. It has tables made from aluminum rather than cast iron for instance, and only the outfeed table is adjustable using simple set screws which periodically go out of alignment like they did today, and then are rather difficult to adjust. I hate it for that reason.

I like perfection in my machinery and in my work too, but with respect to the planer-jointer, I decided I had to accept the fact that it was not designed to offer perfection, but rather capacity and functionality within the reasonable price I paid for the machine. I therefore pay closer attention to its alignment now, and make adjustments when required. I accept this imperfection because of what the machine can do for me within the limitations of my workshop space and budget. It has a very welcome place here as a result.

No comments: