A blog devoted to professional aspects of design
and engineering applied to the art of fine woodworking.


April 27, 2015

Exploring Limits

I have taken on projects over the past two years that steadily strengthened my ability to efficiently build larger and increasingly innovative composite structures. Some of those projects seem simple like the poster frame shown below while some represent a higher level of engineered accomplishment in their design. And one of those projects has yet to be completed. Yet all are steps that led to an understanding of a design architecture I need to successfully implement if I am to build one more pipe organ based on some interesting ideas I continue to conceptually develop.

Most of us have a professional identity that defines what and how we approach our work. The objects I build will always reference back in some way to the cabinet pipe organ designs that define me as an artisan. With that I intend to begin building a larger furniture cabinet this summer that combines some of the methods from recent projects into one whose design develops and tests the feasibility of those methods in a unique structural architecture.

Consider this a prelude to another cabinet organ someday.

No comments: