A blog devoted to professional aspects of design
and engineering applied to the art of fine woodworking.


July 14, 2014

Pluralistic Woodworking and Design

This set of speakers represents a sort of capstone project in a way. I named them the Pluralists because of the many different woods that I used in their construction.

I computer modeled the box and vent dimensions using driver parameters, and from there I solids modeled a unique visual design to produce working drawings adding to the technological challenge that even this small project represented.

Consider also the number of diverse construction techniques used here on such physically small objects. Dovetailed boxes, veneered front and back plates, computer numerically control routed speaker openings, cross grain routed mortises, and angled tenons represent most of the challenging construction methods used to complete this design.

A quick read through any issue of Fine Woodworking magazine will reveal that my current work does not represent old world craftsmanship typically represented by hand tool methods, something previously discussed here in this blog. But new techniques are offering me new challenges and opportunities for design growth while still allowing me to maintain high standards of artisan craft.

No comments: